Ear infections are a normal occurrence in children. Ear infections should normally go away on their own and you should talk to your doctor if there is no improvement within 3 days. At Macks Pharmacy, we have a well-trained staff that is capable of handling ear infections in London.
Symptoms of ear infection
The most common symptoms associated with ear infection are:
- High fevers
- Discomfort and pain inside the ear
- Feeling sick
- Hearing problems
- Discharge from the ear
- Irritation and itchiness inside and around the ear
- Pressure inside the ear
- Flaky skin in and around the ear
Toddlers and young children with ear infections may also:
- Be slow to react to some sounds
- Rub or pull their ear
- Lose their stability regularly
- be irritable or restless
Although most ear infections usually go away on their own within 3 days, certain symptoms may last for up to a week.
Can a pharmacist help with ear infections in London?
Yes. Visit Macks pharmacy today and consult with our pharmacist if you suspect any case of an ear infection. You may be prescribed acid eardrops, or painkillers, to help stop fungus and bacteria from spreading.
Infections inside the ear
Antibiotics are normally not applicable in cases of ear infections since the infections normally go away on their own. However, medications may be considered if:
- The infection lasts for more than 3 days.
- Fluid comes out of the ear.
- You have a health condition that increases your chances of getting serious complications, like cystic fibrosis.
Outer ear infections
The following medications may be prescribed for outer ear infections:
- Antibiotic eardrops- for fighting bacterial infection
- Antifungal eardrops- for treating fungal infection
- Steroid eardrops- to reduce swelling
- Antibiotic tablets- for serious bacterial infection
However, eardrops should be used correctly for them to be effective.
Contact us today to treat ear infections in London and for more information.